- Make sure your main bridle is the correct length, if it is too short it is a problem. The jib on the jib boom should be relatively tight with a 4 inch slot. It is common for people to use a "racing shackle" i.e. a smaller shackle for racing or even line to attach the jib.
- Is the jib halyard up all the way?
- Is the mast tuned?
- Is the rig tight? Forestay tight?
- Is the jib wire tight in the sail?
- Are your battens in the main and jib the correct type?
And then there is sailing.
- It is good to know when to use 2:1 versus 1:1. The sheets should be pulled in enough.
- The jib/main slot between the sails has a happy spacing.
- Look at your wind indicators on the sails, to ensure they are flying happily.